Saturday, September 06, 2014

Back To School...

I'm two weeks in and I'm still looking for my "groove".  Currently I am doing my practicum/internship at the Vet Center on Monday and Tuesday from 7-6.  I'm going to be changing that schedule due to other things in my life.  I have two classes on Thursday and Friday, and a class that is online.  So currently I have Wednesday off for errands and homework.  Having that day off in the middle of the week is weird but nice.  Two days of work, one day off, two days of classes and then another two days off.  Nice schedule huh?  It's weird and I think it's one of the reasons why I'm struggle to find my "groove".
Currently Codi is living with us because on Monday he ships out to Marine boot camp.  It got moved forward because other people bowed out and no longer wanted to be a Marine.  Codi said these folks were paying attention to the news and the thought of shipping out to a war made them rethink their decisions to join.  Which is good, because the last thing the Marines need are people who have issues with being sent to war!
My classes are interesting.  My concentration is Forensics, apparently the therapist that work with court mandated clients or work in the criminal justice system are called "hug-a-thugs"  I thought that was cute :P  What surprised me is that Forensic Social Work is not really a "thing" just yet.  Even within our school it's been a struggle to be seen as a thing.  My one teacher had a domestic violence client come to the school so his class could watch a therapy session through a one way glass and he had to explain and fight for this with the Dean.  Apparently once the school found out that he was bringing in a DV client into the school all hell broke loose in regards to him "bringing in a violent criminal".  WOW!  Kinda takes away from what social work is founded on, helping those in need!  He eventually won his case and was allowed to bring that client in.
Another one of my classes is Law and Social Work and is taught by a Judge.  She's pretty interesting and I don't remember any of my Civics classes being so engaging!  Or maybe I just wasn't interested at the time :P
I'm also taking a class on ACT-Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.  I feel as though I'm going to be more of an empowering therapist and ACT is going to be a nice tool to have in my tool chest.
I haven't started seeing clients at the Vet Center yet :( Still waiting on computer access.  I am enjoying talking with one of the volunteers, he's an old Army helicopter pilot and he's interesting. I've sat in on a few therapy sessions with the other therapist.  There are two psychologist at the Vet Center and they are both pretty nice. I asked about what dictates a client see a psychologist as opposed to the LCSWs and I was told nothing.  At my last practicum the psychologist that would come in was not so cool, I never even formally met him and according to the other therapist he wasn't very user friendly.  So that's been a nice change.  I'm hoping when I show up on Monday I'll have computer access.  I'm going to be starting a support group for medics, we'll see how that pans out.  I think there are two groups that I need to run or work with while I'm doing my practicum.
My life is back to reading, homework, and work.  It's crazy to think that in April/May I'll be done and graduating with a Masters!  Go me :D


No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...