Friday, May 20, 2011

*warning* venting ahead

Alright, the other day I blogged about my new job.  How it was going well, good people... etc. etc.  
Well, it's still full of good people BUT going well...that's up for debate.
I've work with my trainer for the past few weeks.  She's been great but today she left for a week vacation.  She's shown me the basics but there is a lot of the job that wasn't covered and now it's CRAZY!
My hours that were discussed during my hiring was 8-5 and due to my military background I'm hard working and don't like leaving at the end of the day when there is tons of work to do.  
I need to switch my mindset.
I went in early today, I was there at 730 because I knew I'd have a ton of emails and stuff to do and with just me to do it.  I left work at 630! WHAT THE FUCK?!  Oh and today I got my first pay check and overtime is $7.50!  Is that normal?  No, it's not $7.50+my hourly rate just a blanket $7.50.  Again WTF?!
So, why did I work 11 hours today?  
Let me break down my job.  We have a salesperson, who is a nice guy, who goes out and accepts these military orders.  Once we get "awarded" these shipments we process said shipment.  Now this process isn't extremely easy.  If it's short notice we need to get approval from our big whatever, it's a TAG request. Actually since it's peak move season everything has to go through TAG.  If it's approved we can go forward with the registration and process said order and I won't go through all those steps.  Let me just say it's not one step, it involves a few databases so it's not a minute job.  If TAG rejects... well that's a whole other story.  Now, by it's self not a big process but when you multiply this process by over 20 orders in one day it gets mind boggling.  OH did I mention I am answering phones, updated weights of shipments, handling mover calls that have questions, trying to get shipments released out non temp storage, send out paperwork to origin agents blah blah fuckn blah!
I cannot even TELL you the number of emails I get in one day!  Oh and we were suppose to have the acceptance of these orders blacked out (so we don't accept them) but there was a problem and in a course of one day we get up to 20 awarded shipments that we have to handle.... on top of everything else.  Oh and once we get the shipment we are the move coordinators so that means we are calling the customer before the move, during the move, and after the move at a minimum.  We have to call our agents that are packing the customer, and hauling the customer.  Driver's are calling us for confirmation numbers to put goods in storage, to deliver to the customer, or to give us weights.  Origin agents are asking for paperwork and I have at least 3 data bases that I am updating for each order!  
REALLY? $7.50 overtime?!  


Oh.... the people are nice :P


update: figured out the over time business.  It's all good and yes this was a vent with a bottle of wine.  Tomorrow is monday, it's a new day and I'm going to do my best like I always do.  I will keep a good attitude and take it one day at  a time. :P

No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...