Friday, July 09, 2010

Verbage

It's funny when you travel and live in different places how the little things, like how people use words, stand out.  
On Oahu when you use "town" you are talking about Honolulu.  Everyone understood that, townies lived in Honolulu/Waikiki.  
Stopping in Missouri, town is used to describe the closest "town" which has the basic amenities (gas, food, etc) so that town could only have a population of a couple hundred.
Now in Utah I've realized that town does not mean the largest town in the area (Salt Lake City).  I was talking to someone and mentioned that wherever I get a job...on base or not, I'm going to live in town.  I was looked at a little weird and then the reply "you mean SLC?".  So now I know I have to say SLC or town could represent anything.  Also the street thing that annoyed me before, is something I have to adapt to AGAIN.  Streets around here are on a number system.  The exit to go to Sandy is 9000th but you don't say that!  You say 90th street!   


As for the job update.  I've applied to 10 jobs and only 1 is a definite no.  I know I have at least 4 that have passed the first screening and are getting reviewed at the HR departments.  The email stated that it could take a few weeks before they start making calls.  I'll be in India :(  I'll put an out of office assist on my email and and out of town on my phone and pray that this trip won't hinder my job applications.  


India is just a few weeks away! I'm excited and nervous!  

No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...