Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The ugliness of human beings...

Awhile a go I went on a tangent about labels, mostly on a personal level but the more classes I take the more disgusted I seem to get with certain people. People that are small minded.
In my current class, Women Minorities and Justice.... it's only the second class and well, justice is NOT blind. People are judged by the color of their skin, their social economic class, their sex, and their history... just to name a few things.
I watched the Massie Affair again. If you haven't seen it, go to the website and at least check out the information. It's a sad mark on the justice system, and the military. It's racist, the powerful take advantage of the system and the people of Hawaii and get away with murder. It makes me ill :(
I don't understand how people can be so narrow minded and judge someone on their looks without getting to know that person. Don't get me wrong, I make snap judgements about people but that does NOT stop me from at least getting to know someone. I may mentally make a judgement but I am still able to be open minded to that person. I don't treat someone bad for how they look. How childish is that?!
I've hung around people who have been judged and it's obvious and I can understand why people get angry. I've been judged and treated badly due to being a female and it upset me. I think everyone has felt that way, to be prejudged and feel angry or self conscious due to it... we don't like it so WHY do we continue to do it to other people?
People, the world/life is bigger than you and once you get away from your preconceived ideas/notions/feelings and become open to what life has to offer you then you will be happier!
We also watched a video on youtube "Black doll white doll" and a high school student re did a study in 2007 that was done in the 1950s. Again, this shows that even today there is racism... children are aware of it and are internalizing it. Children are confused and they have enough to deal with without being self critical of themselves due to the color of their skin!
WAKE UP PEOPLE! This is NOT a world that I want to be a part of! It needs to change!
Be aware of when you prejudge someone, be aware of the stereotypes that are portrayed in the media and don't subscribe to them, if you don't watch then they don't get the viewers and it goes away, educate yourself and others.... talk to people, talk to people that make you "uncomfortable" and you will find out that they have issues/dramas/joys/sorrows/families just like you do!

No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...