Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Treatment Failure

Failure is such a strong word.  Last week one of my military members was listed as a treatment failure and sent back to his post.  This individual had a bunch of stuff in his past that is crippling him, trauma that had turned this person from a man with potential to a man of anger.  He had a "front" and every once in awhile I could see past it, but he did not progress in his treatment and he was with us for over 30 days.  I didn't get to say goodbye to him.  Due to his words he was sent to the ICU wing and stayed there until he was picked up by his command.  I can only hope that some of my words will stay with him and he will get to the place where he is able to work through the shards of his past.  
I do not see this person as a treatment failure, and I never used those words in my last note.  I see him as not ready, I may have not been the therapist to guide him, the environment may not have been the best for him. Not being ready is not a failure to me.  
So many times in life we are presented with situations or opportunities that we forgo for one reason or another, sometimes the timing isn't right but we are just not ready.  We did not fail at life or that situation, we just chose a different path.  
I wish the best for this person, that he will eventually find happiness and peace in his life along with a strong sense of self worth.  This wish I put out into the universe and let it go....for I can only learn from this experience and try to be better at what I do but I cannot beat myself up for this or go over and over what I did nor did not not do.  He will not be my last person that I will see that is not in a place to begin healing.  
I just need to keep doing my best by these individuals and hope that I am planting a seed that will grow over time.

No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...