Thursday, October 10, 2013

FALL BREAK!!!!!


WHOOHOO! It's fall break time!  To make it even better I don't have twenty million papers to write, well... nothing more than usually and then there are the two midterms.... still have my practicum....but I have a break from classes :D
It's been about a month since my last post and not much has gone on besides school, school work, maintaining the house, and my internship.  I'm still enjoying my classes.  They are pretty engaging and it seems so fast past.  When doing my undergraduate degree, even with a full class load, it didn't seem so much like I was drinking from a fire hose!  Then there is the internship.
I'm trying to apply my class work to my internship but we are still on the basic foundations of being a social worker, along with the DSM V which they are not using at my internship.  I just feel like I'm always on, always engaged with some aspect of this education.... this fall break = brain break!  
I had my first legit one on one with a client on Monday.  I'm not sure how it went, I thought it went o.k. but the "goal" of this meeting is to get a treatment plan for this person and they responded with the "I don't know" when asked about what they want to focus on.  It's not like they have nothing to focus on, she has a basket full of things that we can choose from.  One of the things they focus on in our class is that we start where the client is at, if the client is focus on being overwhelmed returning back to society then that's what we need to focus on... even though I think we need to focus on her numerous past trauma which has resulted in PTSD.  I will slowly take over the Substance Abuse group, well... not really slowly, the therapist ran the group this Monday, next Monday I'll run it while she sits in, and then the following Monday I fly solo!  ACK  This group really likes the current therapist so I have big shoes to fill, and there was at least 1 client in the group that was really vocal on his feelings on the change :(  Oh well.... it will be fine.  Some of my classmates have been seeing clients since they started, others have been utilized as secretaries so I feel that I'm somewhere in the middle in regards to the work I'm doing and that works for me.  Granted I still think it's a stretch that during our first  year we are already seeing clients!  We don't know what the hell is going on!  
I'm still struggling with feeling like I belong in regards to my classmates.  It's hard for me to relate and just recently, I feel like I was totally snubbed by this one girl.  It's hurt and it's frustrating that people still act like we are in high school but whatever.  I'm not at school to get the most popular girl award, but it still hurts either way.  
I signed up with the NASW.  It's cheap for students and I get discounts on training that they give so I figured it was a good thing to go ahead and start with :D
I did attended a training on the new DSM V, and it was interesting to look around and think "these people are going to be my colleagues"  :D
Halloween is around the corner and I haven't put up 1 decoration  yet :(  I have the stuff available but just haven't done anything yet!  That's another thing I need to do this week!  Shane and I did go costume shopping, we have a Combat Dining out to attend and it's a costume part too!  We are going as zombie bride and groom!  Should be fun!  
Well, I got laundry to attend to, studying to do, and I need to get something to eat!


No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...