Saturday, May 12, 2012

Work and a Voodoo Doughnut!

Yesterday I returned from a few days in Portland, Oregon for my work.  I've been on active duty orders with my guard unit.  We are gearing up for our big evaluation of our new mission.  I did some of this in Hawaii, but here I am with this mission from the beginning.  It's a lot of work because there isn't a lot of guidance.  We are tasked with this mission but the specifics to accomplish the mission are somewhat vague.  One way for us to get a better idea of what we are suppose to do and for tips to make things a little smoother is to go watch other states while they do their evaluation.
I am part of the medical element of the CERFP which is: CBRNE (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, high-yield explosives) Enhanced Response Package.  The other parts of the CERFP is the decontamination element, search and extraction, and command/control.  Our role is to assist when the local state resources have been maxed out, and we are the bridge of assistance until more federal aid comes in.  We have a 6 hour response time, and our equipment is supplied for three days of assistance.
So, off to Portland to see how they do things.  As with most military training we always manage to have some fun and see some of the local area.
We got there early morning so we went to Hawthorne Street for a late breakfast and then went off to hike up a waterfall!  We went to Multnomah Falls.  It was a hike, but it was beautiful!

The typical one handed self portrait!

 Time for the hike up

 The fearless crew!

After a good first day it was time for work.  I took a lot of pictures to help us get better with our job but I won't put them all here....unless you know what it is, then they are kinda boring.  But for an idea of the footprint that we show up with here is a before and after....

Before we show up with all of our gear....

 It's Game On!

The last day we all got up early to check out Voo Doo Doughnuts.  I had to get the voodoo guy :) YUM!





No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...