Wednesday, June 22, 2011

team player

The more time I work in the civilian sector the more I realize how much of an individualistic society the United States is.  I've discussed this in college classes, compared us against other cultures who place more importance on the group but it's always been just discussed.  Lately, it's been becoming obvious to me in the work place how individualistic we are.

In the military it's a team effort.  There are still individualistic goals that one pursues but when it comes to the job it's a team effort.  When there is a influx of people not passing physical fitness, those people are not zeroed out... it's a team effort, we are all out there before the sun rises working out.  We grumble, complain, and say "it's not fair" but at the end of the day we are in it together.  The work load increases, we all stay behind and work.  We have each other's backs, we support each other, and we help to get the job done so we can all go home or we can all go and have a drink at the club. :P  We work hard together so we can play hard together.

It's hard to mentally get use to the individualistic mentality in the workplace.  But a couple of times being screwed over, or shunned (either on purpose or not), I'm done and I'll keep an eye out for me.  If a coworker looks bad cuz I know how to play the game better... well that's not my fault.  I've given options, offered help, and pointed out when there is a meeting that we must attend.  I'm done.

It's sad that we are like this.  I'd think we'd be better as a society if we would not be so individualistic in the work place.  I know, it's what makes America great... anyone can work hard and make something of themselves.  But what good is that if you're all alone.  I personally get a better feeling from working as a team to get things done.  Knowing that I have someone's back and someone has mine in case I miss something.  It's healthier to be able to bounce things off of others at work, to have that good camaraderie at work.

If something comes up, work wise, that is a better opportunity for me....it won't be hard to give 2 weeks.

No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...