Tuesday, March 01, 2011

"What the hell" visit from my Mom!

Actually it wasn't like that completely.
A couple of weeks ago in the morning I was messing around on FB and was putting out there events I was attending.  The SLC Tattoo convention was going on this past Saturday and I've always wanted to go to one.  Well, I was planning on going solo...not a lot of interest from those around me but Mom and I started talking about it (this was a Wednesday).  Next thing I know she's flying out Saturday to hang out with me for a week and go with me to the convention!
AWESOME!

Now, the convention wasn't what we thought it would be.  Not sure what we had in mind but both of us were like "meh" about the whole thing.  We both left wanting new tattoos though.  The best part of the day was running into and meeting Shanghai Kate.  We were walking by her booth and she was working on someone.
"Hey Mom, check her out!"  She has white hair and is an older lady!  I thought it was great to see her working there.  So we started checking out her table and a young cute guy working there starts talking to us.  We noticed all the Sailor Jerry stuff and we were drawn in some more.  Turns out Shanghai Kate apprenticed with Sailor Jerry, she has the rights to his work, and has some original flash of his that she's selling and a book he wrote.  I bought the book!  Mom bought something for Dad.  Dad has a Sailor Jerry tattoo :)  Once we got home I got online to check out her and she is a fascinating women.  A gypsy if there ever was one.  Right now she is based out of Alaska but also spends a lot of time in Hawaii.  She travels everywhere.  My type of woman!  I also read about the whole Ed Hardy mess who is making money touting Sailor Jerry stuff, saying it's family owned! LIE and Sailor Jerry Rum.... he didn't drink so it's not his recipe, another LIE!  If you want Sailor Jerry things, go through Shangai Kate's page!

Sunday we were going to go to Ikea so I could get my furniture.  Well, the snow prevented that so we walked to Trolley Square. I saw a bed I loved at Pottery Barn, came home and ordered it.  Yep, it's a far cry from Ikea but a bed is one of the most important things in your house right?! ;)  We made it to Ikea on Monday after work and Tuesday evening....couch delivered and assembled :)  Now just a few more essential pieces of furniture and I'll be good to go!

All "have to have" furniture has been bought, but not yet delivered :( In the next week I should have everything.  Mom had lunch with her cousin that lives out here.  They had a good time and she gives 2 thumbs up to Curry in a Hurry. I've driven past it numerous times so I'll have to check it out now!

On Monday Mom went and ventured SLC.  She went walking and I think the original plan was to check out the capitol.  Well, she got side tracked.  She saw the hospital signs so decided to check out where I worked up in the Avenues.  Little did she know.... it's a freakn' hike up that hill!  She was worn out! But she had a good time. Didn't make it to the capitol, wasn't about to walk down that hill just to hike up it again!


Well, I dropped Mom off at the airport yesterday morning :( She's back home in OK and I'm getting back into my routine.  Monday night = laundry LOL, doing yoga in the am, getting my coffee and updating my blog before work :P
I'm SO looking forward to this coming weekend.  No alarms will be going off, I don't HAVE to do anything as of right now.  I'm going to enjoy myself :)

I miss having my parents so close to me, I love them so but this is where I need to be for now.  The future is funny and who knows what will happen!

No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...