Saturday, January 15, 2011

Apartment hunting

So I flew in from Dayton OH last night about midnight, took a taxi home, crawled into bed and passed out.  This morning I hit the ground running in looking for an apartment.  I started making some calls and Marcia and I were off!  Looking for apartments in the Avenues and in SLC is similar to Hawaii in that you got to check out Craigslist. 
The first one, well... we did a drive by and it was a major "NO", we didn't even get out of the car.  Not what I wanted in any sense of the word. 
I want to be able to walk places, take advantage of public transportation, some sense of security, covered parking would be awesome but this is the Avenues so that's something I won't be stickler on.
So we were way early for my scheduled apartment viewing so we made some calls and one was a just "show up and view it" because it was unlocked.  That was a no.  Not sure  how they worked the "one bedroom" in the ad but it wasn't nice.  We then drove around and we made a call on this one place, the outside looked decent and the guy they showed us was questionable and it had a moldy stagnet smell... not good. 
We then went to Trolley Square to waste some time and then we headed out to the next apartment. 
AWESOME. 
I could walk to everywhere I would need to go to, Trax is just about a block away, Trolley square about 2 blocks away, Whole Foods is almost across the damn street!  It has street parking   :(  but whatever at this point.  It was a little on the small side, storage is limited but it is on the top floor of this cute little brownstone type building so no one is living above me :)  It's a corner apartment so I have a lot of windows :)  I need to keep downsizing my stuff anyway so this could be a very good thing.  The landlord guy was very knowledgeable about all his tenants, is doing a lot of upgrades on the building, concerned about security and I just got a very good vibe about the building in general. Most of the tennants have been there awhile, he doesn't put up with crazy party behavior, and the age range of the tenants is about mid 20's to 40ish. There is a code to get in the building so that is nice also.  He's not showing tomorrow and I have another apartment I'm looking at tomorrow but if I'm not feeling the warm fuzzies with this other place then this is going to be it!  It's been the cheapest of the apartments I looked at which is nice cuz it will give me some more wiggle room with my finances.  Oh yeah... free wireless and all I need to pay is electricity :D
The next apartment had more room, carpet throughout, more storage, covered parking, and it cost more (of course).  I liked the place and the room that it provided but I didn't feel the "whoo hoo vibe" as I did the last one.  Laundry in the basement along with extra storage but it was like amityville horror down there!  I won't be doing laundry at night NO THANK YOU!
I then looked at another one that is doable, more room and other amenities that I liked but to do laundry, which is in the basement you have to go outside and around the building to the back (the building is an old victorian type house).  These last two were in the Avenues also, but not as close to everything as the smaller apartment.  So I got some thinking to do.
This is a pic of the apartment building I like back from 1933 :)

No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...