Sunday, September 26, 2010

Temp Job


Welcome to my view at work for the next 2-3 months.  It's a big room of cubicles.  To some, this is normal.  To me.... not so much.  How did I get here? How did I get this temp job of data entry, of working bankruptcies for a major hospital in the area?  If you know me, then you know I hate math and repetitive work.  SO HOW DID I GET HERE AND WHY AM I STAYING?!

The economy sucks, not working is depressing, and I could possible get something from this stint.

So here's the update as of today

Applied :  35
No's :       9
Job was canceled:  2
Interviews/call backs:  0

Applications got stagnate for a few weeks due to a dead laptop, me getting sick, working 12 days straight... I know... excuses excuses!  But it's back in the game!

As for this temp job, I got it through AppleOne which is an employment agency that Marcia mentioned.  We figured it wouldn't hurt to have extra people looking for jobs for me :)  So I went and a week later they call me "We have a temp job for you".  I went in and did some preliminary stuff and before leaving I asked if it was the medical admin job that we discussed when I did my first interview with them.  It wasn't, it was with a hospital but it was doing data entry, banking, and it was for less money.  I told them "no thank you".  By the time I got home the agent had called me 3 times.  I called her back and she tried to convince me.  I explained to her that I understand the concept of getting a foot in the door, but that's not a job that I want to be doing, no where on my resume does data entry and banking get mentioned.  She then said she made a mistake, her boss wasn't there, and it is a medical admin job.  O.k. that's different and she said for me to think it over the weekend.  So I talked to folks, thought about it and figured I'd do it.  I went in and touched base with the boss lady and I asked again about the job description, she was vague and said there is some banking type stuff.  LIER!  I am at the administration office doing data entry and updated bankruptcy claims!  UGH

BUT I'm meeting people, and I plan to get a reference letter from these folks.  I'm still going to apply for jobs and get back to my one a day minimum.  

The days are long with little interaction from others.  I'm on the computer all day so I don't feel like spending a lot of time on the computer when I get home but I need to keep applying for jobs.  

There are reasons for everything, even if we don't get it at the time.  




No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...