Saturday, September 25, 2010

My Military Life

I have moments where I am very aware of my "part time job" in the Air National Guard.  The other weekend was one of them and I keep thinking about it.  I'd also like to point out that on September 18 it was the Air Force's 63rd birthday!  A couple of weekends ago it was governor's day here in Utah.  First off I never knew governor's have their "day" but they do here and apparently it's also the day that he inspects his state's military... that's us in the guard :)


I show up at Rice-Eccles stadium a little before 9 and gratefully find some familiar faces in the gaggle of ABUs.  I noticed that the army seemed more organized, well they were loitering in formation while the AF were just in groups.  But that's why we join the AF.  When it comes down to it, we can take care of business but most of the time we aren't going to make a situation into more work if there is no need.  Eventually we started to size up and then we waited some more before marching our way into the stadium.  It was cool to march through the tunnel, it was the tunnel where you see the football teams run out before the game.  The contrast from dark to brilliant light on the field was pretty cool.


I can't lie.  Us AF folks don't do a lot of marching.  In fact I can't remember the last time I did.  I've had to form up a few times here and there but not so much with the marching.  There are a few things that should stick with any military member when it comes to marching: 1) the marching band is not there to just play military songs for entertainment, they are called a marching band because they will keep us in step.  Those songs have a specific beat so there should be no reason why folks are out of step, except for us short people in the back, who at times, have to double time it and sometimes run to keep up.  2) when the guide on goes up, that means we are prepping to do something, when it goes down, we do something. and 3) thank God I'm usually in back so I can move my lower body around to keep the circulation going and avoid the embarrassment of walking out of formation (which I have done and have no problem doing if I require it).


When we got to our positions the crowd stood and clapped for us for a good amount of time.  I guess it's at these moments is when I realize what I do in the military is "not just a job".  That phrase and view of mine has gotten me into trouble with boyfriends who were not the military type.  Arguments would build on "it's just a job" because that's how I see it but try explaining that to someone who has been on the outside of military life.  They have had friends leave, and come back changed and it's not always for the better, if they come back at all.  But to me, the military has always been in my life.  My Dad, who is getting ready to retire here in about a month, is a military man.  My brother, also has served in the military.  It's normal for me to live miles away, even countries away from my parents.  It's normal for me to move, change jobs, meet new people all on a regular basis.  Living out of boxes, as sucky as it is, it not so out of the norm.  To me... all this is normal.


I get emotional when it comes to military ceremonies, military commercials, songs about the military, seeing a military member salute the flag.  It doesn't matter where I'm at.  It's normal to know people, on a regular basis, who are deployed in harms way.  It's my life.  It's normal to readily accept that I may be deployed, that I may be asked to go and be in some places which are not so fun.  I will be nervous, but I will not be scared.  It's my life.  I will always have camouflage clothing in my home, even though I'm not a hunter. I don't think twice about having a Kevlar helmet in the corner with chem warfare gear in my closet. Combat boots are normal work attire and I have to adapt to wear heels to work every day. It's my life. I'm happy with who I am and what I'm doing.  I'm proud of my "part time job" in the Air National Guard.


Being in the military gives me a bond instantly with anyone who has or is serving.  Our driver in India was in the Indian Army. He talked of his service to us, and I could feel the love of his country in him.  He was proud of his home.  He talked of loosing his brother while his brother was serving in the military. He didn't have to tell all the details, his tears said enough.  After we got to where we were going I walked around to him and just gave him a hug, no words were needed.  After awhile of him being our driver I let him know of my military background and the look in his eyes instantly changed.  He was a sweet man anyways but in that moment, we were connected with that military tie.  


When I joined I didn't think I was doing it because I'm oh so patriotic.  I did it because it was my best option.  I wasn't ready for college and I didn't want to work at some dead end minimum wage job... oh and there were many who didn't think I could do it.  Even I questioned if I could do it.  I'm still not psycho patriotic, you won't catch me yelling HOORAH for the United States or getting an AF tattoo but I am proud of my home and where I come from.  Because of the military I appreciate the greatness of my home, the diversity, and the opportunities and freedoms that we have, but I also see the faults and the imperfections of her.  


Being in India for 2 weeks was an experience for me that was different in that I traveled with no assistance or backing by the military, all my other visits abroad had been due to military stuff.  I worked with a civilian organization and at times, was a little concerned with how things were going.  One thing I have learned in my life thus far is how to adapt and that is what I did.  I enjoyed the trip.  I learned a lot. It was the first time that when I came back to the U.S. that I felt a sense of  this is my home!  I am proud to wear the uniform. I am proud to do my service wherever that may take me. I may complain about my job and military requirements, but heh... doesn't everyone bitch about their job?!  I'm no different.  When I don my uniform and go to work, I go to a clinic, I deal with customers, a boss, backstabbing, office politics and do things that are sent down from the head honchos that make no sense to me.  Now that I work a straight civilian job, I see that it's no different except it's harder to pick out the head honchos by sight and the back stabbing is a little more sneaky :P  So yeah... for the most part my military job is like a civilian job, until I have to get deployed :D 

No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...