Saturday, December 12, 2009

Trying to get into the spirit

So.... I changed the background and tried to find the oddest collection of Christmas music :)

The plan was to walk home tonight after my school presentation to check out all the city holiday lights and take pics... BUT I ended up dressing a little nicer due to meeting with someone that could potentially put in a good word for me when it comes to finding a job.... AND I lugged all my books in hopes of selling them back. They took about half of them for a whopping $26 :( It could be worse. The girl at the counter told me to check out this other bookstore that may buy some of the other books back.... so that's the plan for tomorrow.

Technically, I am done with two of my four classes. Tonight I put together a power point for another class presentation. This presentation is on human trafficking. We, the class, is suppose to meet up on Tuesday to "practice" giving the presentation. We will see how that goes.

I can't believe this year is almost over! It has really flown by... but then that's the norm I think.



On the way home today on the bus, it was about dusk, and I noticed that the parks were becoming spotted with the homeless putting up their make shifts shacks out of pretty much anything. I wonder if the tourist even notice the amount of homeless there is here? I know they notice in Waikiki, holding up their signs and hanging out.... but do they REALLY noticed? Over this semester this has come up a few times, and I've been reading about the homeless being "shooed" out of some of the parks. I read the comments by other readers and I am shocked at some of the insensitivity. It's sad, the whole situation. It's sad that a majority of these people are locals, who can't even afford to live in their homeland. It's sad that minimum wage here doesn't even get you a roof over your head, let alone be able to afford decent food. In a recent article in the local newspaper about homeless they interviewed a person that IS GOING TO MY SCHOOL! She is a student at MY school and she's homeless! WTF?! I mentioned this to one of my teachers cuz it was so surprising to me and he said that he knows a few students that are homeless! How shitty is that?! There is a homeless problem, and to hear about college students that are homeless just proves that this state is ass backwards in it's priorities. There should be affordable housing for low income people/students/etc. but there isn't. I understand living in the city is expensive, just like any major city but usually once you get out of the city you find more affordable living... apartments... etc. Um... yep, not so much here. Everything is focused on the tourism industry, the state depends on it... and due to this narrow focus the locals struggle just to keep by. Don't get me wrong... there is good stuff here but living here, paying attention to the politics of the area, learning more of the history of the state, and talking to more people... it's just frustrating and sad.

No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...