Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First full day in India

I'm tired, yet excited to be in India.  I was stoked to figure out the hot water heater! CHEESE!!!!

We were woken up by room service calling us to see if we wanted breakfast.  We quickly ordered toast with butter and jam and coffee. we pretty much ordered the same thing every morning and EVERY morning was different: it went from 4 pieces of toast to 2 back to 4, 2 trays to 1 tray, one day jam no butter, sometimes butter no jam, coffee was one cravat but having to get us 2 every morning they finally brought up 2 the first time.  The coffee was instant and it was served with hot milk so at least it was creamy, I just had to add a packet of sugar and I was good to go (after 2 cups of course).
After we were all cleaned up we went down to figure out the internet (free WiFi-WHOOHOO) and also get the room numbers for everyone else.  We started knocking on doors.  We didn't want to hang out in our rooms, we're in INDIA it's time to explore!!!  We woke up some folks (sorry) but we managed to gather up some folks.  By 1130 we were off, we had about a group of 5.  
A lot of street vendors.  Little did I know that most of the street vendors are closed on Sundays so technically the streets were quiet this first day!  


We eventually came across everyone else, at the ATM no less.  They were off to the mall so we joined them.  Before going inside of the mall we had our bags searched, and if we had cameras (we all did) we had to take a picture outside of the mall and show that it worked before walking through a metal detector :P
Yep my camera works!
Half of the group got cell phones.  I wasn't inside the store when they went through that adventure, I watched through the window.  Talk about paperwork!  Copies of passports, signing away your first born... it was VERY time consuming.  After that we were all hungry so we got some munchies and the shopping (one of my least favorite things to do). I didn't buy anything that day.

Soon it was time for dinner, we ate at a Chinese restaurant at the mall.  Oh, after we got off the plane and Coleen introduced herself she made it clear it was her birthday! So our first full day in India, it's my roomie's birthday and in India it was Friendship Day (you buy your friends cheap stuff).





No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...