Sunday, March 27, 2011

Holi Festival

Early this week Marcia emailed me asking me if I wanted to check out the Holi Festival.  Without a second thought my response was a "HELL YEAH"!  I then checked it out on line for the simple fact that I would never think this would be that big of a thing here in Utah, especially a good distance from Salt Lake City.
I am happy to be wrong!
One of the meanings behind the Holi Festival is to say good bye to winder and hello to spring with all the colors it brings, it's a spring festival.  There are reports of the festival going back as far as the 7th century!
The plan was to head south early but due to other circumstances we didn't head down till around 1.
After driving around Spanish Fork, due to bad directions, we saw a line of cars and a bus and followed them and there we were. Dressed in clothes that we didn't mind getting dirty, not frilly or cute.... ready for fun.
I was amazed at all the people that were there!  I was not expected that at all!  This was walking up to the Lotus Temple.
We got there just before a major throwing of the colors.  They did this every two hours....give or take.  This girl's blog shows the colors awesomely!  
These pictures I borrowed from MSNBC:  I love the kid in the photo, such fun!
And of course....COLORS!

It never fails to amaze me to be around so many people just having fun!  You can't help but be happy, joyful, and just at peace even amidst the crowds.  You'd be walking around and feel a splat of color on your back, or the side of your cheek. Little kids tossed colors, cuz what kid doesn't like making a mess! This was a chance for everyone to head back to those carefree days. It was a huge canvas of color!  
I'm going to try and make it back every year!
We didn't buy any color while we were there, well... Marcia asked a random girl if we could buy a packet off of her ($2 more than the regular price but that's not bad) so we did throw some and that's the main fun.  But you can stand in the midst of the crowd and just get covered!



The sun is shining, blue skies are above and the mountains are picture perfect with the new snow.  Time to head outside and enjoy the day!

No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...