Monday, August 23, 2010

Dead Chickens, TB, and site seeing

7 Aug-Saturday


What a day!  Was as the Mother House at 7:30 before heading out to Kalighat, where the home for the destitute and dying is.  I walked in and saw a little blond sitting there so I asked if I could sit next to her.  We chatted for a bit and she's been in India for awhile volunteering at the different shelters that fall under Mother Theresa's care.  She was looking for a cheaper place to stay and we talked about traveling etc. she said "this is a perfect place to live on a prayer".  I did think for more than a minute of not coming back to the U.S., I can't lie :P
I soon found where all the other volunteers were finishing up their breakfast.  We sang some songs and then it was off to find the Kalighat group.  We had to take a bus so we walked to the bus stop and waited.  Eventually our bus come by but it didn't stop in front of us and we actually  had to run to get onto the bus.  It was funny and I could only smile.... OH INDIA :)

Once we got off we had to walked through a big market area.  We checked in with a sister who barked at us not to take pictures "I saw you taking pictures outside, no pictures inside!"  Alrighty then....
on the way to the shelter
cute, but he probably was sacrificed that day :(




Breakfast had already been served so I started off helping with dishes.  It was an assembly line of dish washing.  There were scrappers (scrapped the food off the plates) two rounds of scrubbing and washing and then a double rinse which was two big pools of water in cement indentions in the floor, and then the dryers (which I helped with).  I had to go upstairs to put some dishes away and they were chopping up chickens for lunch.  The was a pile of innards on the floor next to some chickens.  One was definitely alive still, he was blinking and sort of looking around.  I wanted to yell at him, "RUN" but didn't and went back downstairs.
I then helped ring out cloths.  Another assembly line of washing clothes with big cement vats, a couple of guys washing cloths with their feet before rinsing and then ringing out the cloths.  After a good ringing they were taken to the roof to dry.
I then went to find some way to help on the women's side.  The facility was split in two with men on one side and the women on the other.  They were handing out the meds and I was soon given a bed number and some meds.
It was obvious that I was new and they don't give you a lot of guidance as to what to do, you just do.  I tried to do my best.  After meds they were just interacting with the woman so I did what I could even with the language barrier.
One lady, who had TB I'm certain, held my hand and we talked about my henna.  I gathered that she use to do henna a lot for others.  I also messaged her legs.  When she pulled her legs out from the blankets one of her legs was deformed, almost as if it was broken and was never properly set.  I just went on rubbing her legs and when I looked at her face, her eyes were closed and she seemed to appreciate it.
Before I knew it, it was time for a tea break and all the volunteers go upstairs for tea.  I talked to a man from China.  He missed orientation so he was just visiting but wasn't allowed to do anything.  He managed to carry down a big bowl of food :)  He was impressed with me just going to India on my own and being there.  I said the same to him, it takes a lot to just go to a different country.
It was them time to serve lunch, and some of the older ladies did need some assistance.  One lady that I tried to help was not having it and had no desire to eat.  After lunch I walked around with a pitcher of water and a basin so they could wash their hands (they eat with their right hand) and their face. I was then back in the cleaning area helping with cleaning the dishes again and then it was time to take the bus back to the Mother House.

Talking with the other group, I think they had a hard volunteer morning.  They were with handicapped, and autistic children.  They were wiping snot, drool, and cleaning butts!

I left Kalighat feeling good but also wishing I had more time.  This whole experience with the shelters and even today was like a taste of a job that I can not complete or continue.  That is what frustrates and saddens me.

After meeting up with the other group we were off to get some site seeing done.
We first went to a market.  It was crazy!  Venders trying to sell you stuff, I had street kids begging at me, and beating each other up in front of me..... We ate at KFC, I had a veggie burger and yes it was good and spicy :P  Coleen my roomie is a sign language interpreter.  Well, the KFC was staffed with about 80% non verbals.  Coleen was signing with them and they were shocked!  They were excited about her and she got get a tour of the kitchen!  My public health side told her to REALLY look at the place ;)  When she was done she said it was REALLY clean and she'd eat there every day!
these pics are from around the crazy market.  i'd rather take pics of the awesome buildings than crazy ass vendors :P
this was above the crazy market



We then went to Victoria Memorial Hall.  It is a museum.  It's really beautiful inside, but I wasn't allowed to take any pictures inside :( Outside we came across a man with some monkeys.  I guess he'll have them dance for some money.  I didn't pay much attention, I have a problem with enslaved animals and I didn't want to encourage their handler in anyway.  They had horse and carriage rides, which at first seemed neat but once I got closer to the horses I could see their ribs so they weren't taken very good care of either :(




No comments:

Life is work!

Every day at work I see it, people wanted a quick fix or an easy way to feel/do better.  They always seem a little surprised when I say that...